Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And now for the ugly...

My daughter has started gaining weight in a very short time. Just over this summer and it is quite noticeable in everyone who sees her. Now I'm not saying she's chubby, but basically she has gone from petite to now solid. This is a bit stressful for me and I'll tell you why.
For my entire life my mom has always said the same thing about me..."Nicole, you were really petite until senior kindergarten and then, all of a sudden, you just got bigger and bigger.". And what grade has Abby just started? SK. Is she going to follow in my footsteps? God, I hope not! This is one genetic trait I really didn't want to pass down.
I am just so afraid of all of this. I always hated the way my parents handled my weight issue. The bribes, the "do you really need that?"...it all drove me crazy and just made me dislike myself and my family even more.
I hate what this is doing to me. I hate the worry over all of it. I want to tell her that she'll be loved no matter what size she is and that she is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. That she is so bright and loving and full of energy.
I am just so scared. I know what the wrong way is to handle all of this, but I just don't know what the right way is. Argh!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I remember the morning we had the conversation about Abby. Try not to worry...it's probably the beginning of a growth spurt!

And, she is beautiful no matter what!