Saturday, May 22, 2010

REAL tv

For the last 3 weeks we've been in "finale season" in tv.  For anyone who loves television like I do it's a wonderful time of the year.  I've always loved any "sweeps" period when the shows pull out all of the punches to get people to tune in.  But as a person who's always been a fan of television, I'm surprised at how few shows I was looking forward to watching.  In fact, the grand total is 5.  And do you know what is to blame for this? REALITY TV.
We are a society who has turned "fame" into an occupation.  An occupation that it seems anyone can apply for.  (see Speidi, Paris Hilton, Kate Gosslin)  Why? 
I will admit when reality tv first started I watched a lot of it....Survivor, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Flavour of Love, etc, but then I took a step back and said, "What the hell am I watching?!".  These shows are full of people who have no other desire than to get their face in front of a camera for no other reason than to...get their face in front of a camera!
You know those "man on the street" news reports where the reporter is standing in front of a crowd and there's always a handful of people waving their hands like crazy, making pretty much idiots of themselves?  That's what these "reality stars" are doing.  In the most basic form they're saying "Hey!  Look at me!!!!!".  Why are you looking? 
Critically acclaimed shows don't last anymore because no one is watching them.  We'd rather watch Dancing with the Stars or American Idol over and over again.  (Two shows which have basically turned into popularity contests.) 
Television used to be an art. It was a place where all sides of creativity came together and produced wonderful things. Fun things. Things that made you forget about your life for just a little while and made you wish you were the other guy. Nowadays television has become similar to watching a car accident where we are happy to watch the other guy crash and burn. What does that say about our society?
The one thing I take solace in is the fact that my family is a Nielsen's family.  Our votes are being counted and, although it's only 4 votes, every bit counts. 
I have especially been concerned with ratings this year because I wasn't confident that my favourite shows would be back again next year.  So, I made sure that my vote counted....and I honestly made a difference.  For the first time in a while my shows were all picked up early...with exception to one that just squeaked by.  (I think it was my personal vote that helped with that one.) :)

The summer is a great time to catch up on shows you might not have watched before.  Instead of watching Big Brother 22 why not rent a season of a show you haven't seen before and give it a try?  You might just be surprised.

Now, after all that do you want to know what my 5 shows are? Here they are:

Mondays @ 8pm - Chuck (NBC) - For anyone who has never seen an episode of Chuck please try it out.  If you like action comedies this is the show for you.  It is filled with some amazing stunts but at the same time staying so funny.  It's a show that doesn't take itself too seriously. 

Wednesdays @ 9 and 9:30pm - Modern Family (ABC) - Everyone's calling it the resurgence of the sitcom.  I agree.  It is absolutely hilarious and every character is worth watching.
Cougar Town (ABC) - Don't let the name scare you.  This is a very well-written, funny show.  Just like Modern Family every character hold's their own.  It's from the creator of Scrubs and Spin City.  And for anyone who got sick of Monica (me included) on Friends, Courtney Cox is no Monica in this one. 


Thursdays @ 8 & 9 - Bones (Fox) and Fringe (Fox) - Bones is a forensic show, but it's more about the characters.  And Fringe, well, it's this generation's X-Files, but not as creepy. 

All that said, there are other shows I do watch when I can, but please remember anything after 10pm from Sun - Tues is past my bedtime.  :(  That said, I do like Big Bang Theory, Glee, 30 Rock and I am looking forward to catching Lie to Me when it comes back on this summer.  I was a faithful Lost viewer for the first 3 seasons and I just haven't been able to keep up anymore.  I will tune into the series finale because, well I always like to see how a show end.

Okay, that's it.  There's my rant.  Just next time you're sitting on the couch watching television, think about what you're watching.  Are the people on the shows worth your time?  Because if they're not, why are you watching.

No comments: